My coat is really coming along! I think the hardest part is over. I'm learning so many different things. One of the reasons I did the Lady Grey sew along was to learn all the mysterious tailoring techniques that go along with sewing a coat. This is what I have been doing, padstitching the collar. Now the collar lays in place, and has a nice fold at the lapel. It is very time consuming, but not difficult. It makes a cool chevron pattern. I'm glad I spent extra time searching for matching silk thread because I was really hard to make the stitches not show on the other side. I'm using a very lightweight wool. Some of the stitches ended up showing, but it blends in with the fabric.
I also decided to baste hair canvas to the entire back, it took extra time, but I think it will pay off. I'm also doing the topstitching that the pattern calls for, which is making a beautiful detail. (You can see it in the first picture.) I've also attached the pockets, sleeves are next, and I'm right on schedule. Pin It Now!