The Peony pattern does not suggest a knit fabric, but it worked out really well for me. I just made a tiny adjustment to the sleeves, making them a closer fit to the arm. I also omitted the back zipper, and can just slip the dress over my head. I didn't include the cummerbund belt, which would have made it look even more like my inspiration, I already had a cute bow belt I could use.
Sewing with knits is really simple, I don't know why some people avoid it. I just made sure to use a needle designated for stretch, and then finished the seams with the serger. Stabilizing the shoulder seams, I used stay tape, is also a must, to keep it from stretching.
This is a really classic dress pattern, that can be adapted really easily. I plan on using it again for some silk crepe fruit print I have in my stash. I think I used around 2 yards of fabric, making this a very economical dress.
Pin It Now!