Tuesday, July 30, 2013
I'm honored to be chosen as one of the Colette Patterns Hawthorns on parade! Congrats to everyone that has finished this pattern (and sewed on all the buttons)! Make sure to drop by and vote for your top 5 before Friday, and check out the second round of Hawthorns on Wednesday.
Pin It Now!
Saturday, July 27, 2013
In case you have been wondering what the bright and cheery room I have been posing in...take a peek into my "florida room". That's what we call it around here, but it's also known as a screened in porch, or sun room I guess. I like the way florida room sounds, and went for a tropical vibe so we could have a getaway all year round! It's also an excuse to decorate with plastic flamingos, my favorite.
The first thing I found was the rug on gilt, and went crazy from there. The furniture I got on double sale at Crate and Barrel, and kept it basic, it actually looks a lot like our indoor furniture! The curtains are a marimekko fabric I found at the Crate and Barrel outlet for under $5 a yard. They are an oversized floral print called OONA. I think I got around 18 yards for 6 panels of fabric. Right now they aren't sewn, I just stapled them for the summer. We still have a bit of work to do in the cornices before curtain rods can go up.
It was really tough to find the right kind of fabulous fabric for the pillows. I finally stumbled upon a twin size quilt on clearance in Marshall's for $22. Another bold floral print, but somehow it all works. I used 18x18 pillow forms, cut 19" squares used 1/2" seam allowances and closed them with invisible zippers. I've put in about a million invisible zippers but for still used this video as a reference, it really helped and I love the lady in the video. My pillows came out perfectly! I used two different kinds of trim, JUMBO orange rick rack, and this fabulous neon pink pom poms.
It's been really great spending time in the new room, reading or even doing some hand sewing outside. And make sure to check out the BEFORE pic below. YUCK! (yes that is astro turf, very classy)
Pin It Now!
Monday, July 15, 2013
I made some pj's! This is a Burda pattern re-release 7109. I just love how vintage kitschy it is. They definitely don't sell this kind of lingerie in stores anymore! I used a silk/cotton blend in a yellow floral print, that I got on sale at Fabricland. It is very sheer so I underlined the front of the bodice in a yellow voile I had leftover from a dress lining.
The pj top is sort of a bell shape and very lose, the bottoms are bloomers with elastic around the thigh! I didn't put sleeves on it, I thought it might be annoying to sleep in. The edges are finished with a bias tape, also made from the yellow voile. For all the seams I used the french finishing, for a nice clean look.
This was my first Burda pattern, and I was not really impressed. If I needed to use the directions I would have never finished this project. I'm still not sure how they wanted to attach the ruffle, so I just did my own thing. Definitely not for beginners, based on the directions alone. Why can't they just be clear!
So these are really comfy and cute for summer. If only I could get my beehive on like the illustration then I would be really cute!
Pin It Now!